Archive | February 2012

New RV Gate

I am so excited to post this project.  For one, it wasn’t my project but my husband’s as he did 99.9% of the work.  All of the fences around our property are in rough shape.  The worst offender was the gate that leads into the backyard.  The large gate, for RV access was in shambles and falling down. The pedestrian gate rubbed on the concrete walkway and would hardly open.  The gate fence has been an eyesore and a hassle since the day we bought the house.

We knew it needed fixing but we were waiting for the right time.  Last weekend our dog got out while we were having dinner at a restruarant 30 minutes away.  Our neighbor called and luckly my father-in law who lives 3 minutes away was able to come over and lock her in the garage until we could deciper her escape route.

It was time to fix the gate.  This weekend it was accomplished and now it is beautiful!  Not to gush, but my husband is so talented it never ceases to amaze me.

Here is what it looked like before.

And this is what it looks like now.

Advertisements

Shower Curtain Inspiration Board

Over the weekend I was working on a new inspiration board for my office.  I just finished the thing today and wanted to share.  This is not the first time I have made one of these for the office (sadly enough) but a new color scheme requires a new fabric for the inspiration board.  My last board was made out of an old cork board from my husband’s work.  It was too flimsy and we ended up having to back it with plywood.  This time I ditched the cork board and went straight for the plywood.  I was able to re-use the batting material and I re-purposed some old nail-heads from a previous project.

The motivation to build the new board came from a shopping trip to Target and the discovery of a fabulous paisley shower curtain.  The curtain is navy and white with a few subtle dark blue tones throughout.  I had to have it but I don’t have any navy in my house and justifying a new color scheme to my husband is my least favorite discussion.  I was thinking about navy for the office since the walls are a neutral gray and my color options were open.  This fabric was my jumping off point and shower curtains provide so much fabric for such little money.  I went for it!  The shower curtain was mine.  I have had the thing for months so it was time to get going.

I wanted my inspiration board to be large as I have lots of inspiration to display.  So I began with a 36″x48″ sheet of plywood from Home Depot.  I laid out the shower curtain and cut it to size using my pinking sheers.  I cut the fabric 3-4 inches larger than my plywood all the way around.

I then flipped the fabric over, pattern side down and layered the batting on top.  I used two layers of batting since that is what I had lying around the first time I made an inspiration board.  If you wanted to use one layer of thicker batting I’m sure that’s fine too.

I laid the plywood over the batting and fabric making sure I had enough fabric and batting to stretch over the sides and onto the back.

I used a staple gun to place a single staple in the center of each of the four sides.  This step helps keep the fabric in place while you work.  The next step is to begin at one side placing staples every 2-3 inches working out from your original center staple.  I leave the corners loose as I will come back to them when I am finished.

After I have finished stapling all the edges down, I go back and do the corners.  I fold the fabric into a rough double pleat and staple it down.  It doesn’t have to be perfect, you just want it to lay down flat enough that it’s not too bunchy.  

The main part of the board is now done and you can flip it over and admire your handy work.  I decided to make things easier on myself and not attached my ribbon diagonally as I had done before.  I measured and marked evenly spaced lines with a piece of chalk across the tops and sides of the board.  Antique white grosgrain ribbon from Walmart was cut to size and then stapled to the back of the board.

I then hammered in nail heads at the cross sections and viola! Finished!

Small Changes

This weekend we installed Ikea pictures ledges in my daughter’s room to hold her books.  I love the look, I see it EVERYWHERE on Pinterest.  I was going to use Ikea wooden spice racks since I already have one and they are MUCH less expensive ($3 compared to $10). However, they no longer sell them at my local Ikea and thus picture ledges were my only option.  There is a small expanse of wall space between my daughter’s open bedroom door and her closet that is perfect for the picture ledges.  Truthfully, I was tired of her tearing ALL the books out of her bookcase and I was eager to get some out of her reach.  I’m not a terrible mommy, there are plenty of books in our house that the kids can reach.  I try to keep the kid’s bedrooms as neat as possible so I don’t have messes trailing me around my entire house.

This is what the wall looked like before.  FYI, I do LOVE the birdcage wall hanger and it does a lovely job of housing my daughter’s bows, sunglasses and headbands.  It was moved to another location in the room.  The Shirley Temple collage came down as it doesn’t really “go” with the theme I am slowing incorporating into Callie’s “big girl” room.

This is what the space looks like with the new picture ledges.  I went with three and they each hold 5-6 books.  I reserved the very top ledge for books that were mine as a child and are already in fragile condition.  Yes, one of the books is titled, “How Babies are Made”.  My mother read it to my brother and I as kids and it is HILARIOUS!  It was written some time ago and is so dated that it actually says there is no way to find out the sex of a baby until it is born…LOL.   I don’t plan on reading it to the kids but it’s a piece of my history and I can still remember my brother and I giggling at the pictures.